August 9, 2022
Image Credit: Olya Kobruseva via Pexels
Though women have made major strides when it comes to the workplace, equal pay continues to be a major issue.
According to the American Association of University Women (AAUW):
- White women are paid 73 cents for every dollar paid to white men.
- Moms are paid 58 cents for every dollar paid to dads.
- Native women are paid 50 cents for every dollar paid to white men.
- Black women are paid 58 cents for every dollar paid to white men.
- Latinas are paid 49 cents for every dollar paid to white men.
- Asian American, Native Hawaiian, and Pacific Islander women are paid 75 cents for every dollar paid to white men.
These facts demonstrate how pervasive the issue is, across ethnicity and race, along with how big of a problem it poses for us all.
Therefore, this makes it even more vital for women to be aware of ways to mitigate inequality in pay. Here’s what has worked for us, and what you can do, too:
- Conducting market research
- Reviewing salary surveys to see what companies are paying in your field
- Talking to people in your professional network
- Taking a negotiation strategy workshop
- Reading a book or listening to a podcast on negotiating
- Choosing not to give in to the pressure to accept an offer, and waiting for the right offer for you, in all respects
Click below for details on salary negotiations in tech and business!
Meet our Summer 2022 interns!
Last month, three interns from STL Youth Jobs completed the Nerdy Diva internship as part of STL Youth Jobs’ Career Accelerator Pathway. Thank you to Shancia Morgan, Shawn Taylor, and Anaya Walker for contributing to Nerdy Diva’s growth this summer!!! They completed a...
Nerdy Diva’s in The New York Times!
Image Credit: Whitney Curtis for The New York TimesEarlier this year, Shanae had the amazing opportunity to close out 2021 by sharing her experience as a Black woman in tech over the past 10 years with the New York Times. In the article, she discusses her experience...
Watch Nerdy Diva’s Interview with Good Morning America!
Image Credit: Screenshot via Good Morning America (GMA)Are you trying to figure out whether or not it's a good time to find a new job or secure higher compensation? Experts say that now is the time to negotiate a raise due to rising inflation, and our founder Shanae...